1883
When the Forth Bridge enterprise began in 1883, the Ferry congregation was augmented by an influx of Irishmen, eager to find work on the construction of the Bridge. At that time, Sunday Mass was usually said in a public house, kindly lent by the working men's committee, Forth Bridge Works.
1883
The situation had further improved. Father Michael Turner from Cramond was, by that time, celebrating Mass, both at South Queensferry and at Davidson's Mains every Sunday (note: Cramond Mission was opened in November 1882. Mass was celebrated in a room in the Priest's house in Davidson's Mains.).
"Our present Chapel"
June 1885
Father Turner took up residence in the new Chapel house. (note: his parish was shown at that time as Cramond where he continued to celebrate Mass every Sunday in a room in his house in Davidson's Mains. The Ferry was a satellite Parish so, presumably father Turner only resided in the new house for part of each week.)
1885, 27th February, Scotsman Newspaper
South Queensferry - New Chapel House
Yesterday afternoon the Rev. Father Gordon, Edinburgh (said to be the oldest priest in Scotland), laid the memorial stone of a new chapel-house at South Queensferry, for the use of the officiating priest there, the Rev. Father Turner. The cost of the building is to be between £500 and £600.

It occupies a site in front of the temporary church which is of iron, near the railway station. In presence of some thirty members of the congregation and others, brief addresses were given in the church by Father Turner and by Father Gordon, who were accompanied by Father Farquhar, Ratho. In the course of his remarks Father Gordon said it must be a pleasing thing to see the progress that religion had made within the past forty years, and to see the energy, zeal, and talents of the many young priests who were now, as it were, working wonders and miracles.
1934
Hope View was purchased and, on 16th November 1934, the new Church of St Margaret's, South Queensferry was opened by His Grace Archbishop McDonald. Solemn High Mass CORAM ARCHIEASCOPO was sung by Father Kelly, Innerleithen, assisted by Father J Payne, St Columba's, Edinburgh and by Father P Macfarlane, St Peter's, Edinburgh. The preacher at the Evening service was Father Giles Black O.P.
The parish Priest then being Father Michael Kelly, who later became Parish priest of Denny. The old presbytery, which was occupied during the Second World War by the military, was later sold. The old Chapel too was sold - as scrap - though the bell was retained for use in the new St Margaret's Church, as were the stained glass windows.

Father Kelly's successor as parish priest was Canon Bernard O'Hanlon, who looked after a congregation of about 700, which included a number of people from Dalmeny, Newton and Kirkliston.
1931
Two masses celebrated each Sunday in the Ferry. Canon Farquhar became the Hon. Treasurer of the Town Council and received the Freedom of the Burgh along with Lord Rosebery (5th Feb, 1931). In time, however, age and infirmity compelled him to resign his incumbency.
1930
Father Edward E Mallon (1908) took over as Parish Priest. Davidson's Mains, which had been served from the Ferry since 1887 was now served from St Columba's, Edinburgh but the service from the Ferry was resumed the following year.

1912
Father Farquhar was made a Canon.
1918

Father Patrick J Rice (1924) took over as Parish Priest.

1893
The Chapel which up till now was shown with a seating capacity of 400 now apparently has seating for 250. There was still only one Mass each Sunday and 100 boys from HMS Caledonia.
1892
Father Farquhar was appointed by the Admiralty Chaplain as Chaplain to some 100 boys on HMS Caledonia. This ship was the only one in Scotland where some 700 boys were trained for the Royal Navy. Of these, some 100 were Catholics and their spiritual interests were served by Father Farquhar.

The boys were landed each Sunday for Mass and other times for their religious duties. Father Farquhar also visited the ship on weekdays for religious instruction in the schoolroom. The catholic seamen and marines of the other warships in the port also landed on Sundays with the boys. Note: there was still only one Mass each Sunday despite this increase in the congregation.
1890
Father William Farquhar (1872) took over as parish priest (Father Turner was transferred to Kilsyth).
1887
The Ferry was shown as the main parish with Father Turner serving Davidson's Mains each Sunday from the Ferry.
1860 --------------------------------- 1865 ----------------------------------------- 1870 ------------------------------------------------- 1875 ------------------------------------------------- 1880 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1883 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1884 -------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1885 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1890 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 1890 ------------------------------- 1920 --------------------------------------------- 1930 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1935 ---------------------------------------------------------------------

1864
Records show that in 1864, Mass was being offered every fourth Sunday in South Queensferry by a priest from Linlithgow.
Linlithgow
Up to 1877
South Queensferry was served from Linlithgow by Father James McCariney. Holy Mass was celebrated every fourth Sunday.
1877 to 1883
South Queensferry was served from Broxburn by Father John Carmichael. Holy mass was celebrated every second Sunday.

1873
Between 1873 and 1874, the Church at Broxburn took over responsibility for the Ferry, Mass then being celebrated every second Sunday.

1883
There was, of course, no Chapel in the Ferry at that time, but according to tradition, a house in Smith's Land, the Vennel, was at least sometimes used for the offering of Sunday Mass.
1884
In 1884, a Leith businessman, not himself a Catholic, approached the Administrator of the Archdiocese (the Archbishop having died), and suggested that a corrugated iron Chapel, then being offered for sale by the Baptists would be very useful to the Catholics of the Ferry (There was a corrugated iron Baptist church in Madeira Street, Leith erected in 1875 and replaced with a new building in 1885. It contained 300 sittings.).
After inspecting the building, the Administrator bought it, had it dismantled, and then had it re-erected on the Loan, South Queensferry.
2nd July 1884
South Queensferry Chapel solemnly opened by the Administrator of the Archdiocese who celebrated High mass on the occasion. High Mass was sung, the preacher was the Reverend Lord Archibald Douglas (son of the 7th Marquis of Queensberry) and the Rev. John Lee preached at the evening service.

The Church was described as a commodious iron Chapel with seating for about 400 people. The cost of the Chapel was completely defrayed and Father Turner was instructed to proceed at once with the building of a new Priest's house. This was to cost £500 and an appeal was made to the generosity of good Catholics throughout Scotland.
Smith's Land
Canon Farquhar
HMS Caledonia
Freedom of the Burgh
Steeple of First Chapel
Address

1883
On the death of Archbishop Strain, an address of welcome was written to his successor requesting continued support for the erection of a chapel in Queensferry.

1878 - NOTE
In 1878 the Scottish Hierarchy was restored. Before this Scotland was still a missionary country with the Catholic community coming under the jurisdiction of the "Congregation de Propaganda Fide" at Rome. Our bishops were called Vicars Apostolic and the area they ruled was called a District or a Vicariate Apostolic rather than a Diocese.
1865, April 25th, Scotsman Newspaper,
SOUTH QUEENSFERRY - DEMONSTRATION AGAINST STREET PREACHERS BY IRISHMEN.
South Queensferry was on Sunday afternoon last the scene of a disgraceful disturbance, occaisioned by the district missionary and two lay preachers from Edinburgh, having taken up a position at a part of the town which is principally inhabited by Irishmen of the Roman Catholic persuasion, and there begun to expound their doctrines, and denounce the creed of the Church of Rome. The Catholics taking offence at this turned out in large numbers on the street, and commenced hooting and yelling in a furious manner. Matters assuming a rather serious aspect, the police were obliged to interfere. They requested the preachers to desist, which request was met with flat refusal; and, setting the authorities at defiance, the preachers continued to harangue the mob for a considerable time, amid much tumult and uproar. At length, fearing; that the Catholics would proceed to inflict summary vengeance on them, the preachers made their exit, amid the shouts and derisive cheers of the mob. It will be remembered that the late Queensferry riot owed its origin to a similar cause, and it might be well for the public peace if the authorities would take measures to prevent a recurrence of such unseemly outbreaks as these.
1931, February 5th, Scotsman Newspaper
CANON FARQUHAR'S SERVICES
The Royal Burgh of South Queensferry, after a lapse of about half a century, last night erected two new burgesses. They were the Earl of Rosebery and the Rev. Canon William Farquhar. …
For over 40 years no other citizen of the burgh had given of his time and talent to the conduct of its affairs more widely and more faithfully than the Rev. Canon William Farquhar. For years his ripe and experienced knowledge of affairs had been at the service of the Town Council, and, in particular, in the realm of finance. In 1891 he became a member of the old School Board, and served on it until it was abolished in 1918. Four years later, in 1895, he was elected a member of the Parish Council, and had the long record of 35 years service in the administration of the Poor Law. In 1897 he was elected a member of the Town Council, and three years later was appointed honorary treasurer. That post he continued to hold for 50 years. He had had an experience almost certainly unique, for he acknowledged as head of the royal and ancient burgh two Provosts whose sons received the same honour. …
Canon Farquhar in his reply, said that he had served under nine Provosts, many of whom had passed away.